Learn how to make this Blooming Nine Patch quilt. It’s made from beginner blocks – squares and nine patch blocks – that are set on point. Part of the magic of this pattern is how the fabric appears to blend together in some of the rows. It’s fun to learn how your fabric choices can lead to more or less fabric blending*. I’m always amazed at the beauty of this simple quilt.
You’ll find links to the FREE pattern and handouts below along with links to other videos that you might find useful when working on this quilt. Also – take a look at some other Blooming Nine Patch Quilts (see below).
* Striped fabric or other directional fabrics won’t blend as well as solids and prints. They can be used but will add an extra challenge.
Links to Handouts:
- Blooming Nine Patch Quilt Graphic*
- Blooming Nine Patch Strip Sets
- Blooming Nine Patch Cutting Guide
- Blooming Nine Patch Cutting Guide (for larger quilt)
Supply List for Blooming 9 Patch (PDF):
Yardage: (100% cotton works best!) * Striped fabric or other directional fabrics won’t blend as well as solids and prints. They can be used but will add an extra challenge.
- Fabric 1 – 1/2 yard
- Fabric 2 – 7/8 yard
- Fabric 3 – 1 1/4 yard
- Fabric 4 – 1 1/2 yard
- Backing – for 42 1/2″ by 56 1/2″ quilt
- Batting – for 42 1/2″ by 56 1/2″ quilt
- Cutting Tools (scissors, rotary ruler, mat and cutter)
- Needle, Thread & Pins
- Iron & Sewing Machine